Ema



Ema


Everything is made of small triangles and square shapes here,
Paisley patterns float over wood floors
I am in the upper room, waiting for a ritual 
that never happens. I search for emotion-redemption -
am left searching.

I sleep in the room that belonged to a child that is now
no-longer-with-us, and the tensions between my universe and that one
ripple softly over me, tucking me in, forgetful of the divide.
We are all children of god, whoever that is, and I smoke cigars with her father.
Don't worry, stop worrying, my feet are never cold
I gather eggs for the morning.

I never met you, not-among-us, 
but your shadow falls over,
immense.
cornfields absorb hymns,
the congregation is shoeless again.
There are different deaths, not-among-us.
After you left candles were lit for the quiet.