first window


First window

Unknowing and smoky with doubt
Finding strands of black hair
Plucking and pulling you out
How do I feel less alone?
How do I feel less
Remember snapping a polaroid
So we’d never forget our first window?
Now its all noise, humming
Drumming along as I sew new patterns
Pulling stray black hairs from the path of the needle.
Take pictures of rivers on my phone,
moment by moment im losing moments.

I lay here in wait,
“…yes, since I am waiting”
Ready to pounce on every mistake
That I make, but I like to make them.

There were cypress trees past the second story,
Mossy shadows helped me sleep,
Here it’s desert air, hot then cold, I toss and turn
And watch the street lights flicker off in the morning.

We climbed higher on the ferris wheel, overlooking ocean
You discovered your vertigo, and then we go
I tipped us over the edge of the known world.
Upside down I see my loneliness, inverted
Standing up in soaking linens
Embarrassed of itself, and groaning,
“…yes, since I am waiting”
over and over until I’m so sick of myself
that I stop the ride and get off, uncertain
of whether I’ve righted
or I’m still hanging under your version.
Everything is ocean roar in my ears,
And I can’t hear for listening.

I weave together braids of black hair
Messy ropes, and it is still perilous cold.
No more blankets of southern air envelop me,
So I seek contentment, wet with whiskey,
As I sew, crossing back on my own tracks
Looking to look out the first window again,
See if I see what I saw,
Pushing through waves of black hair
But there’s only more wall.
I'm kicking up dirt,
Crunching junebugs under my soles,
The air is thick with their fucking.
I take a picture from outside,
Where it looks like every other window.